All Grain Bavarian Hefeweizen

This Saturday I brewed another new style (to me), a Bavarian Hefeweizen (at the request of my partner, Christie). This was a rather unique recipe I culled from the BYO magazine’s recipe archives, this recipe was originally publised in the May 1998 issue.

The characteristic that made this brew unique was the fact that it used 61% wheat grain — giving the mash the potential to stick on me, and cause me all kinds of new found headaches. Under the advisement of the Brew Strong podcast, and my LHBS, I picked up a pound of rice hulls, just in case things got sticky…

DSCN0391

I made a rather loose mash, so it was more like soup than my previous mashes have been, and I thought this might help somewhat. It not only made the mash a lot easier to stir, but it also made my step-mash much easier to homogenize.

The added weight to my mashing pot made it a little more challenging to pour into my lauter tun, but I managed to get away with only a couple spilled grains.

The sparging phase was another area where I made an improvement to my process this week. Instead of sparging with the recipe’s suggested volume of water, I instead overestimated the amount I would need, and took progressive gravity readings on the second runnings outflow until I hit 1008, then I stopped sparging. Scientific measuring devices are awesome!

DSCN0403

DSCN0404

The boil went well, and then I made one final improvement to my process. This time, instead of pouring the chilled wort through the funnel a bit at a time as it filtered through, I used my siphon, which allowed a slow transfer, leaving a lot of the hop gunk in the pot.

DSCN0407

The recipe I used is:

6.75 lbs. English wheat (German was not available to me)
3.5 lbs. German pale two-row malt
0.75 lb. cara-munich malt
1 oz. German Hallertau hops for 60 min.
1 oz. cascade hops
1/4 tsp. Irish moss for 15 min.
1/2 tsp. yeast nutrient for 2 min.
Safale WB-06

This was a modified version of the magazine recipe, partly due to what was available to me, and also what was recommended by my LHBS. I’ll be bottling with Wheat DME instead of corn sugar as well. At this point, primary fermentation has begun and has been ongoing for 48+ hours.

DSCN0408

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s