In an effort to develop some staple recipes, I’ve decided to put a twist on the current batch. Instead of two different batches, I did one huge batch of porter — enough for two carboys.
I split the batch between two carboys, and pitched London Ale III into one batch, and S-05 into the other. Check out the difference. Of course, the English ale yeast was liquid, but it had been in the refrigerator for 10 days.
Homebrewing yeast comparison from Joel Mahaffey on Vimeo.
Last night I decided to light up the strike water at 9pm, which was crazy, but I wanted to do it anyway. A 10 gallon batch of porter, modified from the San Fran recipe slightly, more in the robust family of porters, but with similar traits.
Edit: A lot of superstition going on at the time of this post. Read at your own risk.
I am very excited to finally have my first Scotch Ale, a “Wee Heavy”, bottled. Recommended aging is two months, longer if possible. I’m hoping to make the two months.
I used Wheat DME for bottling again. I did a couple batches with sugar, and I really wasn’t happy with the carbonation. It really does change it, and I like the tighter head and smaller bubbles of a DME carbonation.
I set up my finished beer (fermented wort?) and propped it up on a board to slant the liquid to the racking cane side.
Then mixed the priming DME mix and fermented wort in the bottling bucket by racking, and stirred with my wooden mash paddle. I’ve had inconsistent bottle conditioning recently, and stirred the heck out of this batch after adding the priming DME.
I finished sterilizing my bottles, and set them all up in a row, and filled them up, assembly line style.
After bottling was finished, I took the little bit that was left, and put it in a glass to sample. Yummy! Can’t wait to try the bottle conditioned product.
I made yeast starters for both batches because I had no idea how many cells I was pitching with my yeast jars from the local microbrew. Turns out it was overkill. The only downside was a massive blowoff.
Both batches this weekend resulted in 10 gallon boils to be reduced to 6.5 gallons. I can’t imagine how long it would have taken with a standard stovetop burner.
I maxed out my lauter tun this past weekend with both a barley wine and a wee heavy. The barley wine’s spent grains are shown below: