Last night I decided to light up the strike water at 9pm, which was crazy, but I wanted to do it anyway. A 10 gallon batch of porter, modified from the San Fran recipe slightly, more in the robust family of porters, but with similar traits.
There was a lot of grain to sparge, I think more than the barley wine I made a few weeks ago. What a job to sparge it all.
I used my hydrometer while sparging to make sure that I didn’t oversparge. I’m a long way from done in this shot here…
When I finally finished sparging, I had a very full kettle.
I had to leave some of the second runnings in the small pot until I boiled some off. I had to be very gentle with the boil to prevent spillover, which inevitably happened a little bit. Squeezing the wort chiller in nearly overflowed it again. Then it started to rain. Moved everything under cover while chilling, then siphoned, cleaned up, pitched yeast and went to sleep after 3am.
Expected OG: 1.054 SG
Expected FG: 1.014 SG
Expected ABV: 5.3 %
Expected IBU (using Rager): 35.9
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
UK Pale Ale Malt 20lb 0oz (84.2 %) In Mash/Steeped
German Munich Malt 1lb 8oz (6.3 %) In Mash/Steeped
German CaraMunich II 1lb 0oz (4.2 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Chocolate Malt 12.00 oz (3.2 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Black Malt 8.00 oz (2.1 %) In Mash/Steeped
UK Golding (5.5 % alpha) 2.50 oz Loose Pellet Hops used First Wort Hopped
US Cascade (4.5 % alpha) 1.22 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 10 Min From End