This past weekend’s brew was an enjoyable one and a learning experience. Once again, I modified my recipe based on available ingredients. I wonder if there’s a niche for that?
I had intended a brown, but the lack of crystal malt made me rethink my plans, and I ended up doing some kind of IPA/Amber hybrid ale. Who really knows what it is.
This time, I also tried the technique of dumping some un-mashed grains on the top of the mash before batch sparging. As of yet, I haven’t tasted the fermented wort, but my initial experience was that it added a significant amount of aroma of the malt that was unmashed (which happened to be CaraRed).
Recipe is as follows:
- UK Pale Ale Malt 15lb 0oz (83.3 %) In Mash/Steeped
- German CaraRed 2lb 0oz (11.1 %) In Mash/Steeped
- German Munich Malt 1lb 0oz (5.6 %) In Mash/Steeped
- US Centennial (8.5 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 60 Min From End
- US Cascade (4.5 % alpha) 0.50 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 30 Min From End
- US Cascade (4.5 % alpha) 2.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 10 Min From End
- US Amarillo (5.0 % alpha) 1.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used 1 Min From End
- US Centennial (8.5 % alpha) 2.00 oz Loose Pellet Hops used Dry-Hopped
- Yeast: Wyeast 1318-London Ale III
Step: Rest at 148 degF for 60 mins